Understanding Coercive Control in Intimate Partner Relationships with Dr Bianca Petkova
October 25 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm£35 – £50
This workshop aims to help participants consider different forms of violence within intimate relationships, paying close attention to the nature and dynamics of coercive control. It will explore typical processes within abusive relationships – how these tend to develop over time and what are the most common consequences for victims. Interactive group work and discussions will cover issues such as:
- What are the usual signs that someone is in an abusive relationship?
- Why don’t victims leave and why do they return? (and what this mean for professional positioning & responses?)
- What risks do victims face?
- What are the most common psychological effects and the mental health diagnosis for victims of domestic abuse?
- How to ensure that interventions, (including therapy/counselling), do not increase serious risks of physical and psychological harm?
- The workshop will also shed light on current legislation for coercive and controlling behaviours and consider possible implications for practitioners.
Dr Bianca Petkova is a training officer at Women’s Aid, National Office (England). She studied for her PhD at the University of Birmingham and worked for ten years as psychology lecturer at the University of Worcester, specialising in the psychology of women. Prior to joining Women’s Aid in 2008, Bianca developed and run the Phoenix Programme – a psycho-educational programme for survivors of domestic abuse. Since then has been involved in the development and running of the Women’s Aid national training qualification (Tacking & Preventing Domestic & Sexual Abuse). Currently, she delivers training for facilitators of programmes for survivors of domestic abuse and a variety of bespoke training courses on different topics relating to domestic abuse to services and organisations in England.
2020 workshops cost £35 for ACPNL members, £50 for others.
To book, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating which workshops you would like to attend and she will give you payment instructions.